top of page
Subject Information 

Science in Junior cycle aims to develop students’ evidence-based understanding of the natural world and their ability to gather and evaluate evidence: to consolidate and deepen their skills of working scientifically; to make them more self-aware as learners and become competent and confident in their ability to use and apply science in their everyday lives. More specifically it encourages all students  to enjoy the learning of science, leading to a lifelong interest  to develop scientific literacy  to develop a scientific habit of mind and inquiry orientation through class, laboratory and/or off-site activities. In Our Lady’s science is compulsory at Junior Cycle.

Chemistry Lab.png


  • Mr Lonergan

  • Ms Deery

  • Mr Nolan

  • Ms Reilly

  • Ms Brady 

  • Ms Kerr

  • Ms Mc Enaney


  • Ms Higgins

Agricultural Science

  • Ms Shortt


  • Ms Byrne

Cell Models.jpeg
Junior Cycle

At Junior Cycle Students will study 5 different strands of science:


  • The Nature of Science

  • Biological World 

  • Chemical World

  • Physical World 

  • Earth and Space


Students will complete 2 classroom based assessments for Junior Cycle. An Experimental Investigation in 2nd year and a Research Project in 3rd year. Each of these will be shown on the students profile of achievement. The 2nd classroom based assessment will be used to complete an assessment task in 3rd year which makes up 10% of the overall Junior Cycle result. Students will sit their exam in June which is a common paper and is worth 90% of the overall grade. 

Leaving Certificate Biology

Through the study of Biology students employ the processes of Science to explore the diversity of life and the inter-relationships between organisms. Students will become aware of the use of living organisms and their products to enhance human health and the environment. Students are provided with the knowledge, skills and understanding to pursue further education, training and employment in Biology and other science related fields, and to make judgements on contemporary issues in Biology and science that impact on their daily lives and on society.

The syllabus consists of approximately 70% biological knowledge, understanding and skills; the remaining 30% deals with the technological, social and economic aspects of biology. The final exam is 100% written examination. 

There are 3 main areas of Study in Leaving Cert Biology:

  • The Study of Life (Scientific Method, Food, Ecology)

  • The Cell (Cell Structure, Genetics, Enzymes)

  • The Organism (Plant and Animal Systems)

Leaving Certificate Physics

Physics deals with the fundamental laws of nature and how they impact on our daily lives. The course provides a good basis for further science study and also for any course where ability to think logically is required.  Science, technology and society (STS) is an integral part of the syllabus so that students can be aware of the principles of the applications of physics in the everyday world. Physics forms some part of the following courses at third level: Engineering, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary, Science, Meteorology, Sports Science, Electronics and Computing.

Higher level Mathematics is not required for Physics although the course does include some calculations and the use of formulas.

Students follow a course of practical work, with prescribed experiments in each of the main sections of the syllabus and complete a 100% final written examination.  

Topics covered in Leaving Cert Physics:

  • Mechanics

  • Waves,   Light,   Sound

  • Temperature,   Heat

  • Electricity   &   Magnetism

  • Modern   Physics

  • Particle   Physics

Leaving Certificate Chemistry

This subject aims to provide a relevant course for students who will complete their study of Chemistry at this level while, at the same time, providing a foundation course for those who will continue to study Chemistry or related subjects. Chemistry investigates the elements and compounds that make up the physical world and looks at how they react together.  It looks at different types of materials, both natural and man-made. Chemistry forms some part of all courses in Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, and Engineering and in most Science courses. The syllabus consists of approximately 70% pure Chemistry; the remaining 30% deals with the social and applied aspects of Chemistry. Leaving Certificate Chemistry is assessed by means of terminal examination papers at higher and ordinary level. Students are required to complete and keep a record of 28 mandatory practical experiments over the two years of the course.

Transition Year chemistry is activity based. Pupils complete practical and research modules of their choice. These include forensics, special effects, making bath bombs, demonstrations to junior cycle students, careers project, poster on chemical of choice hydrogen rocket etc. Students are encouraged to enter various science competitions during Transition Year.

Topics covered in Leaving Certificate Chemistry:

  • periodic table and atomic structure

  • chemical bonding

  • stoichiometry and formulas and equations

  • acids and bases

  • volumetric analysis

  • thermochemistry

  • organic chemistry

  • rates of reaction

  • chemical equilibrium

  • Water chemistry.

  • industrial chemistry

  • atmospheric chemistry

Physics Lab.png
TY Biology.jpeg
Leaving Certificate Agricultural Science

Leaving Certificate Agricultural Science involves the study of the science and technology underlying the principles and practices of agriculture. It aims to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes that promote the sustainability of agricultural resources, and places emphasis on the managed use of these resources. Agricultural Science is assessed at two levels, Ordinary level and Higher level, through a written examination and an assessment work undertaken during the course.

Plants and animal types associated with agriculture are studied, and investigations are undertaken into such aspects as soil, ecology, plant and animal physiology, farm crops, farming practices, genetics and microbiology.

The assessment work is worth 25% of the final mark in the Leaving Certificate. The work is assessed through a written project based on students' own practical experience of a farm industry, two crops and presentation of practical experiment work. An oral exam on completed work is assessed usually in the month of May of the Leaving Cert.

Young Scientist.jpeg

November 14th 2022 - Science News

Our Lady’s students qualify for the Young Scientist Competition

Congratulations to the students in Mr. Nolan’s TY Young Scientist module who qualified for the final of the BT Young Scientist competition which will take place at the RDS in January 2023. 

Annabel Bogue is investigating the ‘True Cost of the Accommodation Crisis in Ireland’, Kaitlyn Fitzpatrick is completing a ‘Statistical Study into the financial sustainability of the agricultural sector in Ireland’ while Cormac Mc Nally, Finian O’ Neill & Calum Cunningham are completing research into Waste Water Fertilizer. The school community wishes all five students every success as they continue with their hard work and preparations over the coming months. Speaking at the school during the week Principal Mr. Kelly ‘congratulated the students on their achievements to date and wished them well with their preparations over the coming months. Our school has an excellent record of representation and achievement at this prestigious competition and the Young Scientist module that we introduced in TY a number of years ago has been a resounding success in developing and supporting student interest in the STEM area.’

Photograph: TY students who qualified for the BT Young Scientist competition Annabel Bogue, Kaitlyn Fitzpatrick, Cormac Mc Nally, Finian O’ Neill & Calum Cunningham pictured with their teacher Mr. Nolan and Principal Mr. Kelly

Young Scientist.jpg
bottom of page